Are you serving yourself?

It sounds so selfish. Why would I want to serve myself? 

An idea came to me while I was talking to myself about attention. I was like, I want the people I love and care about to give me so much attention and for them to somewhat validate me because I hate being ignored. But then, what surprised me is the question I asked myself right after which was, what if you just paid more attention to yourself? You wouldn’t notice anyone ignoring you then? Pay attention to the things that prick you, the things you are repelled to, drawn to or like. Pay attention to why you are doing what you are choosing to do, the things that upset or anger you and all the things you find yourself struggling with. 


Photo by Brooke Lark

It was at this moment that I thought, what if instead of worrying about not getting the attention I want, I am of service to myself?  What if I am noticing the things I want people to see when they are with me? What if instead of waiting for them to say something about it, ask why it matters to me and do what I want to be done for myself? What if I get to notice myself and validate my presence by embracing every part of me- The good and bad. 

I thought then that doing to myself what I want somebody to do for me would be a daring act of service that shows love for myself. That caring and tending to my silly and not so silly needs would help me know what matters to me more. And as such, getting out of my way to do things freely for myself matters more as opposed to my usual doing for others but myself. 

Today, I learnt during a meeting with myself that I am the image of God and I have to be of service to myself. That I have to care for him by being good to me. Indeed, if I am part of the universe and I wholeheartedly give to me, I will do the same for humanity. If I respect and love myself, I will respect you and you too. I cannot give what I do not have and what I give, I get! 

How can you be of service to yourself today? Do that little something you have always wanted for yourself, you’re not being selfish!

P.s: Tend to yourself. You're the lighthouse.

Photo by Noah Grossenbacher on Unsplash

Comments

Popular Posts